An update on Performance Based Financing of health facilities in Sierra Leone

  • Overview of Performance Based Financing

 

Performance Based Financing (PBF) was introduced in all 1200 public health clinics and selected private clinics in 2011. It is funded through the Reproductive and Child Health Project from the Worldbank and has so far sent about 15 Million US Dollars directly to facilities, who have invested 40% of that money in upgrading and maintaining the facility and the remaining 60% as incentive for staff performance. The project was externally verified through Cordaid in 2013/2014, who found increased motivation of staff and that small investments were being done, but also large disparities in data collected, weak financial management structures and generally low knowledge and capacity in the scheme.

With support of Cordaid, the Ministry has now developed a plan to move towards PBF PLUS as a first step to strengthen the health system in the Ebola recovery phase. PBF PLUS is addressing the weaknesses of the existing scheme and aims to increase transparency and governance, as well as ownership of the Ministry in the health sector. It addresses some of the key issues of the ministry such as low quality of services, under-financing of the health sector, weak coordination and decentralization and low transparency.

 

  • PBF light

The current scheme is called PBF light, as its design is not fully reflecting PBF standards. It resembles more a payment scheme with some pay-for-services elements. It has been administrated from national level, with verifications being done by the DHMTs. The scheme will be upgraded slightly in 2015 to prepare the health system for the move towards the PBF PLUS.

The PBF light scheme is an integral part of service deliveries at PHU level. Health workers motivation is highly linked to PBF payments and the direct cash flow has allowed basic maintenance and investments. The World Bank has been funding the PBF scheme through the Reproductive Child Health Project 2, which runs until October 2016. From the beginning, the idea has been that Government buys into the PBF scheme and starts contributing to service delivery at primary level using the PBF. However, the World Bank remains the only funding source and the scheme is now running out of money. RCHP2 allocation is enough to pay incentives up until the end of March 2015, which means that facilities will receive money up until about October 2015, as payments are done after delivery of services. There is an urgent need to raise 2.1 million US Dollars to keep paying the facilities or find another solution for the future of the PBF light.

 

  • PBF PLUS

The PBF PLUS scheme is implementing a full PBF structure with clear separation of functions, higher autonomy of the facilities while having regular supervision, a comprehensive indicator list and feasible prices being paid for services and quality at facilities. The payment structure is going to be simplified in order to decrease payment delays. Clear separation of functions (Verification, service delivery and payment) leads to greater governance and transparency. The Ministry can easily take ownership of the indicator list and quality checklist and guide the health service delivery in the direction it wants. At the same time, results are clearly visible and can be tracked.

The PBF PLUS will be piloted in Bombali in the second half of 2015 before being evaluated and rolled out nationwide. The idea is that Government is flowing part of their budget for health through the PBF and strengthen primary and secondary care services through a clear performance approach, where facilities who perform better also receive more money. The total funding needed is 24 Million US Dollars, where among other donors the World Bank is willing to contribute, if the Government buys in as well.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s